Back to Map

Maptalk-Digest Tuesday, December 30 1997 Volume 97 : Number 560

Re: Imler joins the AMR assault---  Peron's Tactics Anger Many inMedical Ma
    From: 
Sent Re:  US: Forbes Says Tylenol Dangerous in Big Doses
    From: Alan Mason <>
Re: draft
    From: Mark Greer <>
SENT Patients in need of marijuana medicine!
    From: Mark Greer <>
SENT  REPEAL ROCKY'S DRUG LAWS
    From: Mark Greer <>
LTE to be published: Prohibition Is Not Regulation
    From: 
Ann Landers Email address? 
    From: Mark Greer <>


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subj: Re: Imler joins the AMR assault---  Peron's Tactics Anger Many inMedical Marijuana
From: 
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 10:12:16 -0800

Great Post! Thank you for pointing out the truth here!
Gary Storck (SF club member) aka Frank S. World (newshawk)

- ----------
> From: 
> To: 
> Subject: MAP: Imler joins the AMR assault---  Peron's Tactics Anger Many
inMedical Marijuana
> Date: Tuesday, December 30, 1997 2:32 AM
>
>
>
>
> Here's a big fact that Mr. Imler and his fellow losers better get through
> their thick heads. If Dan Lungren succeeds in closing the San Francisco
> Cannabis Club, it will mean the end of ALL of the clubs.
>
> If Imler had bothered to read the court decision before pontificating to
> the press, he would realize that Peron's methods of running the San
> Francisco Cannabis Buyers Club were NOT the issue of this decision. The
> **WAY**  the club is run was not a factor.  Although some of Dan
Lungren's
> accusations against Peron's club were mentioned, they are NOT the basis
for
> this decision.
>
> In order to raise the issue of HOW a club is run, Lungren will have to
> develop new evidence for actions occurring since passage of 215 and bring
a
> new case to trial.  From what I know,  the narcs will have a mighty slim
> chance of nailing the club for diverting MMJ to non-medical recipients.
> Since the raid last year, a strict admissions policy has been in place
and
> quite a few narcs have had their applications rejected. A picture ID
system
> was installed and there are very few fakers.  All of this caution appears
> to be a wasted effort  because as far as the court is concerned it is
> irrelevant whether you are selling marijuana in a night club or a medical
> dispensary.
>
snip

------------------------------

Subj: Sent Re:  US: Forbes Says Tylenol Dangerous in Big Doses
From: Alan Mason <>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 10:27:58 -0800

To the editor:

If I understand your recent article about Tylenol correctly, you do not
feel, in spite of hundreds of known fatalities, that Tylenol is too
dangerous to sell. At the same time, your publisher, Steve Forbes, feels
that marijuana IS too dangerous to sell, even to people with HIV and other
fatal diseases, in spite of the fact that no one has ever died as a direct
result of its use. I assume there is a logic in this that you will, at some
point, confer upon myself and your other less astute readers. In the
meantime, I can't help but wonder if Malcom Forbes would find himself
equally as baffled, or if he is not, at this moment, spinning in his grave.

Alan Mason
Contact info

At 10:38 PM 12/29/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Newshawk:  (David Hadorn) 
>Source: Reuters
>Pubdate: Mon, 29 Dec 1997
>
>FORBES SAYS TYLENOL DANGEROUS IN BIG DOSES
>
>NEW YORK (Reuters) - Tylenol, safe though it is in proper doses, can be
>very dangerous in slightly bigger doses, Forbes magazine reported in its
>latest issue. 
>
>The monthly magazine said that in the eight years since a five-year-old
>died of an overdose of Tylenol, there have been hundreds of fatalities and
>serious liver injuries attributed to acetaminophen, Tylenol's active
>ingredient. Johnson & Johnson, whose subsidiary McNeil Consumer Products
>Co. makes the flu remedy, has paid out millions of dollars in legal
>settlements, it said. 
>
>J&J officials could not be reached for comment on Sunday afternoon. 
>
>Forbes said its point is not that Tylenol is too dangerous to sell, but the
>question is simply one of disclosure. "Has J&J done all it should to
>publicize the hazards of Tylenol? Why not warn about possible liver
>failure?" the magazine said. 
>
>According to Forbes, J&J says that "organ specific" warnings would confuse
>people and mentioning the risk of death would promote suicides. 
>
>Forbes said J&J's estimated annual revenues of $1.3 billion from Tylenol
>may explain the company's reluctance to make people more aware of the
>drug's "dark side." 
>
>At least 100 lawsuits have been filed against J&J over acetaminophen
>poisonings, half in the past three years, it said. In four cases in
>Pennsylvania, Texas and Ohio, the company has made out-of-court settlements
>under agreements that require the plaintiffs to keep quiet about the terms,
>it added. 
>
>Copyright  1997 Reuters Limited. 
>
>>>

------------------------------

Subj: Re: draft
From: Mark Greer <>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 07:19:50 -0800

Nice job "Miss Grits" We really got some great letter out to the SS 
(interesting initials for this paper :) 

At 04:55 PM 12/26/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Editor Sun-Sentinel
>I am so sick, tired, and angry with all this misinformation, manipulative
>rhetoric and outright lies from these anti-drug zealots like James Driscoll.
>First of all, they always lump all the illegal substances together when using
>their scare tactics in trying to win their points.  Yet there is never a
>mention of prescription drugs which are actually "abused" more than any other
>substance besides alcohol.  There is never mention that marijuana has proven
>medical benefits.  Nor that studies have shown that it does NOT cause brain
>damage (see Journal of American Medical Association, 1997); it does NOT
damage
>the immune system (two separate studies have shown that it may actually have
>stimulated the immune system in those studied).  Marijuana is NOT more
>dangerous than cigarettes.  Marijuana does NOT flatten brain waves (it does
>slightly increase alpha waves which are associated with meditative and
relaxed
>states which are often associated with human creativity).  Marijuana is NOT
>addictive.  NO ONE has EVER dies from an overdose of marijuana.  Marijuana
>does NOT make people violent; in fact, it tends to make people NON-violent.
>Yet it appears that Mr. Driscoll would have children ripped away from parents
>who choose to have even one marijuana cigarette per week.
>
>Perhaps a quote from Abraham Lincoln made in December, 1840, would help put
>the "drug war" in a better perspective..."Prohibition...goes beyond the
bounds
>of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and
>makes a crime out of things that are not crimes.  A prohibition law strikes a
>blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  
>
>People should be able to partake of any substance they like.  If they
>perpetrate any real crime on anyone (robbery, battery, murder, assault, etc.)
>they should be severely punished for that crime.  As it is nowadays, our
>prisons are full of people serving sentences for possession or
distribution of
>ilegal substances while violent sociopaths are being released.  The U.S.
>government's persecution of its citizens over what they want to take into
>their own bodies has caused distrust and dislike of  government and does far
>more damage to the nation than a few individuals who harm only themselves.
>
Forwarded by
Mark Greer
Media Awareness Project (MAP) Inc.
d/b/a DrugSense

http://www.DrugSensemapinc.org/

------------------------------

Subj: SENT Patients in need of marijuana medicine!
From: Mark Greer <>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 07:33:43 -0800

>>>>

From: "Reverend Michael J. Baldasaro"  

To:  

cc: Alexa McDonough  

X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.04 [en] (Win95; I) 

Subject: Re: Patients in need of marijuana medicine! 

Organization: The Assembly of the Church/University of the Universe 

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 97 20:43:15 +0000 

December 26, 1997 

The Honourable Allan Rock, Minister of Health and Welfare Canada 

Liberal Party of Canada 

Email:  

Dear Sir, 

Re: Patients in need of marijuana medicine! 

We at the Church of the Universe have heard that patients requiring
marijuana as medicine are having difficulty acquiring same. 

We would like to inform your and your department that our church would be
willing to distribute medicinal quality marijuana 

through it's Institute for the Advancement of Marijuana Medicine to
patients in need. 

In peace, bless you, bless us all! 

Reverend Dr. Walter A. Tucker, 

Reverend Dr. Michael J. Baldasaro 

The Assembly of the <<http://www.iamm.com>Church of the Universe 

Institute for the Advancement of Marijuana Medicine 

Hempire Village 

130 Stevenson St., S., 

Guelph, Ontario, Canada 

N1E 5N4 

Tel: 519-822-9281 

  

  

<<<<<<<<

Mark Greer

Media Awareness Project (MAP) inc.

d/b/a DrugSense 



http://www.DrugSense.org/

http://www.mapinc.org

------------------------------

Subj: SENT  REPEAL ROCKY'S DRUG LAWS
From: Mark Greer <>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 09:02:29 -0800

>To: 
>From: Pat Dolan <>
>cc: 
>Sender: 
>Reply-To: Pat Dolan <>
>X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.1 (32)
>Subject: MAP: Re: REPEAL ROCKY'S DRUG LAWS
>X-Sender: 
>Organization: Media Awareness Project http://www.mapinc.org/
>Date: Sat, 27 Dec 97 20:22:22 +0000
>
>Sent: LTE
>Pubdate: Saturday, 27 Dec 1997
>Source: Times Union (Albany, NY)
>Section: Editorial
>Contact: 
>Website: http://www.timesunion.com/
>
>REPEAL ROCKY'S DRUG LAWS 
>
>Gov. Pataki Didn't Go Far Enough In Commuting Sentences Of Three Convicts
>.........................
>
>Dear Editor,
>
>Thank you for a fine editorial. The Times Union should prosper with your
>hand at the helm.
>
>You say Gov. Pataki should "lead instead of follow". I agree entirely. 
>Unfortunately, that would require him to show to show two qualities which 
>are in scant supply in our leaders in publlic life: courage and integrity.
>
>It would require him to to maintain a steadfast indifference in the face of 
>his accusers: all those who would malign him, accusing him of being "soft
>on drugs". 
>
>And it would require him to follow the promptings of conscience and do what
>is right, rather than follow the easier, "politically correct" line.
>
>And how many men do you or your readers know in public life, Mr. Editor,
>who have 
>the courage and moral integrity to do that?
>
>Best wishes to you and all your staff and for the success of the Times Union 
>in 1998.
>
>Yours etc.,
>
>Pat Dolan
>
>
>
Forwarded by
Mark Greer
Media Awareness Project (MAP) Inc.
d/b/a DrugSense

http://www.DrugSensemapinc.org/

------------------------------

Subj: LTE to be published: Prohibition Is Not Regulation
From: 
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:06:53 -0800

MonacoThe San Francisco
Chronicle says they will publish this on Saturday. 

R Givens

*****************

Prohibition never equals regulation for real control at any point in
the spectrum. As one moves farther and farther toward attempting a
"drug free society,"  the oversight necessary for regulation diminishes
proportionally until there is virtually no beneficial control.  When an
activity is made so illegal that any participation in the trade
mandates prison terms,  virtually all control over the market is lost
because outlaws who defy draconian prohibition laws don't obey orders
from the government.  

Harsh sentences after the fact hardly add up to regulation. Putting
hundreds of thousands of people in prison for violating prohibition
laws is an admission of the failure of the policy, not a sign of
success.  Filling our prisons with drug offenders proves that drug
prohibition is not working and never will work. 

In the real world, drug  prohibition abdicates market control to
criminals and corrupted officials.  Prohibition laws control, suppress
and regulate very little, unless you think chasing street level dealers
from one neighborhood to another  accomplishes something.  Prohibition
has not succeeded in attaining any of its original goals.  Zero
tolerance is a joke and drug use is out of government control because
prohibition doesn't work. 

The fundamental concept of prohibiting a substance with a market demand
is fatally flawed. Immediately, the price of the banned item skyrockets
making it incredibly profitable for outlaws to deal in the contraband
commodity. With fortunes to be made, jailing users and dealers is an
exercise in futility because a replacement appears before the judge
slams down the gavel or the undertaker shovels the last spade full of
dirt over their bodies.  

When a narco-trafficker goes down, the market doesn't even blink
because people are literally killing and dying to get into the drug
trade. It should be obvious that the laws and prisons are not working. 

 

The solution to most of our "drug problems" is to legalize drugs for
adult use and license the dealers and manufacturers. Legalization won't
eliminate drugs, but it will eliminate all the problems associated with
an illegal black market. A licensing scheme similar to that used for
alcohol would put the criminals out of business overnight. Bootleggers
couldn't compete in the legal alcohol market after repeal and neither
will the drug cartels be able to compete against licensed drug dealers
regulated by the state.

With legalization, drug use by children could be reduced considerably
because licensed dealers won't risk their businesses selling to minors.
With prohibition, children are totally vulnerable to drugs, because
black market dealers have nothing to lose by selling to all comers. A
legal market restricted to adults would greatly reduce drug use among
the young, exactly the same way repeal stopped the epidemic of child
drinking that went on during alcohol prohibition.

The prohibitionists get excited by the word "legalization," but it
really means returning some measure of control and regulation to
society. It's time to abandon drug prohibition and REGULATE the drug
market. 

Redford Givens

San Francisco

415-776-1596

------------------------------

Subj: Ann Landers Email address? 
From: Mark Greer <>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 08:56:00 -0800


I'm not sure how Nora got this email for Ann Landers or how reliable it is.
I called her office and was told that they neither allow Email or fax
responses. If it actually works we should probably do FOCUS on her column.
She has over a milion readers.

Can someone let me know if this works? 

BTW Creators is the accurate name of the syndicate that handles Ann Landers
so we may have a real find here.

Ann Landers Column
Ann Landers Columnist
435 N Michigan Ave
PO Box 11562
Chicago
IL
60611-4001
312-222-8680

>From: Nora Callahan <>
>Reply-To: 
>To: Multiple recipients of list <>
>cc: Mark Greer <>
>X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01 (Macintosh; I; 68K)
>Subject: Write Ann Landers
>Organization: The November Coalition
>Date: Sat, 27 Dec 97 19:13:23 +0000
>
>Ann Landers wrote a Christmas message to her readers. In part she said:
>
>Dear Readers: 
>Today is Christmas. What has happened to peace on Earth, good will
>toward men? In many parts of the world, there is no peace, and in the
>hearts of many men, there is nothing that could pass for good will. 
>
>Our youth insist that we are poising the environment. They resent living
>in a world they didn't make, and who can blame them? But what generation
>ever made the world it had to live in?
>
>Although our universities are once again places of higher learning,
>racism abounds on many campuses. The "war on drugs" has turned out to be
>a colossal failure. The number of homicides is staggering. Guns and
>knives are standard equipment among tenagers. It is not uncommon for a
>teenager to get shot or stabbed for his jacket or his shoes. 
>
>The full article can be viewed at Media Awareness Project's site:
>http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v97.n423.a14.html
>
>Please take time to write Ann Landers today. Her email address is:
>Ann Landers <>
>
>We want Ann Landers to share Drug War letters - so write her, please.
>
>My letter to her reads as follows:
>
>Dear Ms. Landers,
>        Thank you for your Christmas message to all this year,
>especially for
>your valued insight on the colossal failure of the Drug War. My brother
>just passed his 8th holiday season behind the walls and wire. This year
>was particularly hard for me. The majority of those sentenced for murder
>at the time my brother was sentenced are home now, or have murdered
>again and are back behind bars. Our family has 17 more holidays of
>separation left to endure. My brother is one of hundreds of thousands of
>first time non-violent drug law violators serving decades of hard time.
>        You give advice and perhaps you could pass on this advice to
>your
>readers, who like me, have a loved one inprisoned for drug law
>violations. When public sentiment builds and the people of this country
>demand changes in our drug laws - change will come. There are many
>organizations who are active in drug law reform, join their efforts and
>turn despair into action. 
>        Sincerely,
>        Nora Callahan
>        Director of The November Coalition
>        http://www.november.org
>
>                
>-- 
>Nora Callahan        
>---------------------------------------------------
>tel:  509-684-5929 (Eve) or (509) 684-1550 (busy if on the net)
>http://www.november.org               
>
>Prisoners of the Drug War - Don't let them be forgotten
>
Mark Greer
Media Awareness Project (MAP) inc.
d/b/a DrugSense 

http://www.DrugSense.org/
http://www.mapinc.org

------------------------------

End of Maptalk-Digest V97 #560
******************************

Mark Greer ()         ___ ___     _ _  _ _
Media Awareness Project              /' _ ` _ `\ /'_`)('_`\
P. O. Box 651                        | ( ) ( ) |( (_| || (_) )
Porterville, CA 93258                (_) (_) (_) \__,_)| ,__/
(800) 266-5759                                         | |
URL: http://www.mapinc.org/list/maplists.htm           (_)

HomeBulletin BoardChat RoomsDrug LinksDrug NewsFeedback
Guest BookMailing ListsMedia EmailMedia LinksLettersSearch