Back to Map

MAPTalk-Digest Sunday, December 11 2005 Volume 05 : Number 148

001 Reducing Harm, was: MAP: Stop The Censorship
    From: Richard Lake <>
002 LTE: Personal appeal for letters of support
    From: "Larry Seguin" <>


Subj: 001 Reducing Harm, was: MAP: Stop The Censorship
From: Richard Lake <>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:03:47 -0500

Truly the issue of redacting was well discussed and agreed on by a 
large majority of the editors at MAP long ago, and the statement 
designed by a lawyer.

The issue is at it's heart very simple. If we believe that the laws 
and policies of the war on some drugs are wrong, and we do, how can 
we in good conscience contribute to the harm to real people just 
because they have been charged, not even convicted, of some drug crime?

I was thinking about this last night, had a hard time going to sleep.

I thought, what if? What if my son, a severely disabled vet, who has 
both used and grown for himself medical cannabis in a state where it 
is a crime, had been busted. What if the local rag had carried the 
typical police reporter story with his name, age, and address? What 
if MAP had archived the story?

Today a google search on his name would still turn up the story in 
the MAP archives, even though it would long have not been available 
from the local rag's website. And, unless the war is over, that would 
be true a decade from now.

My son has had a very rough life. Every month I provide him with 
funds so he can make ends meet. He can get very depressed. If the MAP 
archived story caused him problems in life, as well it could, I am 
not sure what the results could be. People do commit suicide when 
life seems hopeless.

If I believed MAP had harmed my son, I would be working just as hard 
to bring it down as I do now to support it, 40 to 60 hours in front 
of this computer a week, handling about 800 arriving email messages a day.

Every person busted is somebody's kid. How can we contribute to the 
harm done by media persecution, the painting of guilt in the press?

If we believe in what we are doing, we can't.

Editors may choose to not post small busts, those police reporter 
stories, or they can redact the identifying information about the 
people busted, as appropriate.

There simply is no reason to change this well thought out standard.

And, as I pointed out yesterday, if someone so badly needs to read 
who was busted, they can go to the newspaper's website, if they go 
while the story is still there.


At 08:13 PM 12/10/05, Allan Erickson wrote:
>Heya Larry-
>I'm interested in hearing more. When both Givens and Seguin question 
>something, I'm listening . Carry on! MAP is us all, after all...
>On Dec 9, 2005, at 6:42 PM, Larry Seguin wrote:
>>I agree with Redford too!
>>----- Original Message -----
>>From: "SHeath(DPF Florida)" <>
>>To: <>
>>Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 5:26 PM
>>Subject: Re: MAP: Stop The Censorship
>>>Hi Redford.  I can appreciate how you formed your perceptions as written
>>>I too questioned this tactic at MAP when I was a volunteer Editor, since
>>>was the only example of MAP altering content in a posted clipping from a
>>>The best explanation I received was that our MAP URLs are permanently on
>>>the web, whereas most newspapers story links are not (though more are
>>>progressing that way).
>>>Thus, John Smith may get accused in his local community and MAP picks up
>>>the clipping and now its on the web forever.
>>>If Mr. Smith is later acquitted, or worse, if the case is dropped
>>>the local newspaper MIGHT carry an update, but it's very unlikely we would
>>>receive it at MAP.
>>>So for all future years, a simple Google Search of "John Smith" + HisTown
>>>USA would result in the searcher being directed to the clipping with the
>>>Yes, John could likely explain it if given a face to face opportunity, but
>>>there's a great chance he would never get that chance and his name would
>>>forerver sullied in the eyes of that inquirer.  If such a person is a
>>>potential employer, or a child protective services employee etc, it could
>>>severely damage John.
>>>ANYONE who wants to know the name of the Redacted folks could with a
>>>click contact the newspaper and ask them directly.
>>>Not an easy issue and I would understand if perhaps my explanation above
>>>seems insufficient.
>>>Your use of our resources at MAP and speficically your persistent effort
>>>use our site as an LTE conduit, are very very appreciated.
>>>Steve in Clearwater
>>>Media Activism Facilitator for DrugSense and


Subj: 002 LTE: Personal appeal for letters of support
From: "Larry Seguin" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:53:08 -0500

US MI: Principal Plants Drugs Trying To Frame Student

US MI: Police Say Official Put Drugs In Locker

US MI: South Haven Administrator Quits After Marijuana Flap

Anyone that's been busted knows how the railroading works.

Maybe we can help Greg.

Larry Seguin
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

(From Greg):

Fellow Common Sense Drug Law Activist:

 I hope all will forgive me for taking the liberty of posting a personal 
appeal on this list.   I promise that I won't be making a regular habit 
of it.   But today I find myself in a real "situation," more than a 
little bit scared and much in need of support from my friends in the 
activist community.     Tangible support, if at all possible, in the 
form of letters to our County Prosecutor and District Judge.

 As you may already be aware, I was previously employed as an 
Elementary/Middle School Counselor in a small, very rural, very 
conservative school district.   At the same time I had been a long time, 
high profile common sense drug law reform activist.   Not surprisingly 
my political activism created a certain amount of friction between 
myself and the school administration.  Over the years I had occasion to 
discuss the matter with my principals and superintendent.  While they 
were not wildly enthusiastic about my activities I believe that over 
time I had at least earned their begrudging respect for the  sincerity, 
logic and passion of my beliefs.    We had been able to maintain an 
uneasy peace on the matter.

 Last school year (2004-05) I was re-assigned part time to a newly 
constructed and newly staffed middle school.   My new principal--a first 
time principal trying to put together a brand new staff in a new 
building--was grossly offended by my political activities--to her mind, 
anyone who questioned the War on Drugs, Inc orthodoxy obviously wanted 
to give crack to Kindergarteners with their morning milk.  There simply 
was no middle ground with that woman.  She embarked on a campaign of low 
level harassment and micro-managing my time and energies--nothing every 
teacher hasn't personally experienced or at least seen go on between 
professional staff & administration at one time or another.   Goes with 
the territory of public education, I just tried to put up with it.  But 
I did get an awfully big belly full of it after awhile.

 On May 2nd, 2005 I was pulled out of the classroom and told that a 
private drug dog had alerted to my truck.  Again.  I say "again" because 
the drug dog always alerted to my truck.  How convenient.    And every 
time I would consent to a search.  Only the first time was anything ever 
found--a dirty cup inside a trash bag which in turn was inside a whole 
box full of trash on the seat.  It  held the dregs of a bottle of home 
brewed hard cider, 2 oz or about 60 ml if I did the math correctly, of 
dead yeast, sludge and solids that accumulate in the bottom of home 
brewed beverages.   Got 3 days unpaid suspension--first time in my life 
I'd ever been suspended from school, btw--for that transgression.   
After that I was scrupulous about never allowing any contraband or even 
dirty returnable beer bottles in my truck.
 Despite those precautions for some odd reason every time the school 
would conduct a sweep of the school, the dog would alert to my truck.  
Every time I would consent to the search.  And every time the search 
would come up empty.   Correctly or incorrectly, I had the distinct 
impression I was being targeted for special attention and call it 
galloping paranoia but I ascribed that to a consequence of my activities 
advocating for sensible drug policy.
 Maybe because the end of a particularly difficult school year was 
drawing to an end.  Maybe I had just had a belly full of it.  Whatever 
the reason, rather than just rolling over again, surrendering one more 
bit of my privacy and liberty and self esteem and just taking the easy 
way out, this time I refused consent.   A 2 1/2 hour stand-off ensued.   
I politely but firmly refused consent to allow a search.  I respectfully 
demanded a warrant be secured prior to any search.   I  also knew that a 
dog alert from a private handler was not sufficient to establish 
Probable Cause, hence they couldn't get a warrant on the private drug 
dog alert alone.    It took bringing in a second dog from a neighboring 
county's sheriff's dept which also mysteriously alerted to my truck--but 
only after the deputy damned near kicked it in the ass to get it to pay 
the slightest bit of attention to my truck.  When first brought to the 
truck the second dog showed no interest whatsoever.   But when the dog 
then changed its mind and "alerted" to my truck after all, I was ordered 
to surrender my keys and submit to the search.

 As would be expected, after putting them through all that, the search 
was thorough.   After pulling all sorts of boxes, coats, farm tools and 
garbage out and strewing it about the pavement, the fruits of the search 
were as follows:
*  1 green twig, approx 1 1/2" in length (~4cm).   Just a twig, no leaf, 
no bud, no glands.   The cops said it was a cannabis stem.  I said it 
was either hops or alfalfa hay--I own a farm and grow both so the 
presence of either would not be unusual. *  1 charred piece of cigarette 
paper, approx half the size of the nail on my little finger.  Nothing 
inside the paper, just the scrap of burned paper itself.  The cops said 
it was an mj roach, I said it was the butt of one of my 24 year old 
son's hand rolled tobacco cigarettes.

 These two bits of "evidence" were duly bagged, tagged and sent off to 
the Michigan State Police Crime Lab for analysis.

 I was then told to return to my normal duties and go about my business 
as though nothing had happened, pending lab results.   I felt it much 
more prudent--for my own mental equilibrium as well as the safety of my 
students--to immediately go on medical leave.    After a couple weeks of 
to-ing and fro-ing the superintendent gave me the option of resigning or 
being fired.   The lab results were not back yet but in the interim, the 
school's attorneys had done some digging and discovered that I had been 
convicted of "attempted use of MJ," in 1989, a fact I had neglected to 
mention when I applied for the job in 1999.   Hadn't mentioned it 
because I thought it was supposed to have been expunged after completing 
the terms of my sentence ($50 fine and no further police contact for a 
year).   Turns out that it had not been expunged after all, so I was 
still carrying around the label, "Drug Criminal."  Interestingly enough, 
this old conviction had shown up on the Michigan State Police criminal 
background check the school did on me when I was hired but at the time 
the administration hadn't been sufficiently alarmed by the original 
conviction or my failure to disclose it to put them off from hiring 
me.   They had been sitting on this for 5 years with the full knowledge 
they could always pull this out and whale me over the head with it if 

 Anyway, I decided to just take the easy way and resign.  I was pretty 
sour on the district anyway and school counselors are a high demand 
specialty here in Michigan.  I figured I could find another post easy 
enough.    The school district really just wanted me to go away 
quietly.  The superintendent told the MEA (union) Uni-Serve Director for 
this part of the state that they didn't want any, "scandal."   Ya, 
imagine if this had hit the papers, eh?   "School Counselor nabbed with 
a tooth pick sized green stick and a charred fragment inside parked, 
locked truck.   Could he be a dealer?"    So the deal was, if I resigned 
they would allow me to remain on paid medical leave for the remainder of 
the contract year.  And that the school would exert any power they had 
with the County Prosecutor to head off criminal charges related to the 
seizures from my truck.   Not that the school gave a rat's ass about me, 
they just wanted me to go away and really didn't want it showing up in 
the paper.

 As far as I was concerned, that was the end of that.  I resigned.  A 
week or so late the lab results came back.  A morphological exam of the 
stem was presumptive for cannabis.    The lab report made no mention of 
the charred bit of paper, nor has there ever been since.   By all 
appearances it has simply evaporated.     At the time I really 
questioned the "presumptive" cannabis determination--a stripped stem 
alone is not enough to make a conclusive identification of cannabis.  
But as far as I was concerned the point was moot.  I had resigned and 
was moving on.
 In early July I was arrested and charged with a 4 yr felony for a "Drug 
Free School Zone, second offense," violation.     I ended up spending a 
weekend in jail, another first for me.  I was held on a $5,000 cash 
bond--no 10% surety, they wanted 5,000 hard, cold, cash dollars.    So 
there I sat all weekend watching a steady parade of wife beaters, meth 
cooks and previous absconders come and go on bonds ranging from $100 to 
$500.   Obviously I, an accused marijuana criminal, posed a greater risk 
to the community than someone brandishing a handgun in a tavern.

 The outpouring of support from MI-NORML was overwhelming; a dozen 
members and fellow travelers showed up on very short notice just for my 
arraignment.  The court did notice.    A couple weeks later I went in 
for my first hearing.   The prosecutor offered to accept a plea to 
misdemeanor simple possession.    I declined--said I wanted this farce 
ended and all charges dropped or to go to a full jury trial on the 
original felony charge.  I simply did not believe a jury given the 
evidence--a 1 1/2 inch green twig and nothing more--would go along with 
sending me to state penitentiary for 4 years. Besides,  we've all heard 
it a hundred times from the drug war cheerleaders, nobody in this 
country goes to prison for simple possession of MJ.   Do they?  .

 Late in August, I showed up for a Preliminary Hearing on the felony 
charge.  At that time the County Prosecutor informed my attorney that 
the charge was being reduced to a misdeamenor, simple possession.   I 
could still have my jury trial since I was refusing to be reasonable and 
take the plea bargain, but they had decided not to press for the Drug 
Free School Zone felony.   Good news I suppose but still and all I 
couldn't help but reflect on the coincidence of the timing--the new 
school year had just begun the previous week and with a drug felony 
charge hanging over me all summer, I was barred by state law from even 
being considered for employment elsewhere.   Now--a week after school 
had begun--I could begin my job search.

In late November I had another hearing.  This one was to consider a 
Motion to Suppress Evidence.   The search itself was clearly illegal and 
I was detained at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the back of a police car 
until they could get up enough nerve to go ahead and search my truck 
despite my well articulated (and well documented in each of their 
individual incident reports) refusal to give consent.    They never did 
get a warrant, btw.  You know, I really thought it was a slam dunk, that 
the circumstances of the search were so obviously illegal and my 
detention so patently excessive that the evidence would be thrown out 
and this entire thing would be over.  In other words, and in all candor, 
I really didn't take it seriously.

 That was a mistake.   I did not line up any support.  I did not take 
people up on their previous offers to write letters.  I didn't ask any 
one or even my wife to come to court as a show of support.  The only 
person in the gallery was a homeless guy, come in off the street to warm 
up.  The hearing did not go my way.   The judge ruled (I believe 
wrongly) that the initial dog alert did establish Probable Cause.   This 
despite the fact that the handler testified that there had been several 
other alerts to staff vehicles that day and a search of each came up 
blank AND that the dog was trained to alert not just to illegal drugs 
but also to gun powder residues (I live in the country, I farm and I 
hunt wild game.  There was a box of shot gun shells in the glove box, 
something really not that unusual out here in the sticks).  The handler 
also admitted that the dog would alert to prescription meds and even 
dirty beer bottles.    All perfectly legal products for me, an adult, to 
have in my locked truck, parked in a school lot. The judge ruled 
Probable Cause had been established despite the fact that even the cops 
had admitted on the stand that they had to bring in a second dog 
specifically because private dog alerts do not establish Probable 
Cause.   But the judge decided the first dog alert established Probable 
Cause anyway.

 The judge also ruled that my detention in the back of the cop car was 
not only voluntary but was done as a favor to me.  See, it was cold that 
day, temps hovering around 40 F/5C and blustery.   So the cops were just 
being nice by telling me to sit in the back of the cop car for an hour 
and a half and in full view of classroom windows rather than letting me 
go back into the (heated) school building.    I guess I'm just an 
ingrate for not appreciating their concern for my comfort.

 I am now scheduled to go to trial on Jan 19th.  It may be too late, but 
I really need a visible show of support.   For those living in Michigan 
or northern Indiana, the trail will be in 7th District Court, 1007 Wells 
Street, South Haven.  If anyone is able to make the trip, just your 
presence in the courtroom will send a strong message.   As an added 
bonus, an after party is scheduled at the Willow Ranch that evening.   
Hopefully it will be a victory celebration but either way I can promise 
a good time with lots of home brew and good fellowship.   Maybe Tim B 
can even take us over to view his new holdings--he's a land owner in Van 
Buren County now (welcome to the neighborhood, Tim.   Just don't tell 
anybody you're a weekender from "the city."   The most popular bumper 
sticker around here last summer was, "If it's tourist season, why can't 
we shoot them?")

 For those unable to make the trip, I could really use letters of 
support.   Well, not letters sent to me.  Letters sent to the Prosecutor 
and the Judge, copies to my attorney.   I would hope that any letters be 
polite and to the point (optimally 1 page, 2 max) but I'm not picky 
either.  The real point here is to make the court aware that whatever 
they do to me they do it in the glare of full light.   Getting a stack 
of letters from around the US, Canada and even N.Z. & OZ, Asia and 
Europe should send the message clearly enough.   And not unrealistic 
given the fact we have members of this list spread all around the globe.

 Suggested tacks letters might take:

  *  Waste of time and resources.  It took 5 police officers and a dog 
(plus an additional dog handler and her dog) to search my truck.    Two 
more officers to drive out to my farm to arrest me in July.   I got to 
enjoy the county's hospitality in the Gray Bar Hotel for a weekend.   At 
least two prosecutors, plus their support staff have worked on this.   
An arraignment, one hearing to waive my Preliminary Hearing and another 
to have the charges dropped from a felony to a misdemeanor-each of which 
required the time of a judge, a clerk, a prosecutor, various support 
personnel as well as a courtroom.  Last week's hearing tied up 3 cops, a 
judge, a clerk and the courtroom for an entire afternoon.  The upcoming 
trial will waste still more people's time and county resources.   For  
a  5 cm long stem.

 *  Why is the county so intent on prosecuting this when even the school 
district has asked them not to?  What purpose is served?

 *  Prosecuting this matter, in light of the paucity of actual evidence, 
is a transparent attempt to retaliate against me for not consenting to 
the search as well as an effort to punish me for my political activities 
and suppress future activities.

 *  Just being arrested and charged with this heinous crime has already 
cost me my job, my standing in the community and put my professional 
career on hold.   My pension is also kaput now--I was just short of the 
10 yr minimum necessary to be vested.  What more does the county want?   
Haven't I been punished enough?

 * I also think it worth pointing out that this is all taking place in 
the same district court (different judge) that declined to prosecute Pat 
Conroy a year and a half ago.  To refresh memories, Conroy was Vice 
Principal of  L.C. Mohr (South Haven) Public H.S.   There was a student 
that Conroy knew was dealing at school but he just couldn't catch the 
kid.  So, following the example set by the Mad Cowboy himself--you know 
who the evil doer is but no matter how hard you try, you just can't seem 
to dig up any solid evidence--Conroy simply made up his own own 
"proof."  He planted a bag of pot in the kid's locker and then called in 
the South Haven Police drug dog for a "random" search.   When the dog 
didn't alert Conroy went back later and removed the pot.   Then a couple 
months later he bragged about what he had done to the dog handler when 
they happened to run into each other at a school basketball game.   A 
subsequent search of his school office turned up several "packages" of 
mj, amounting to "somewhat less" than one ounce total.  Conroy was 
charged  but charges were later dropped on the grounds a) the cop he was 
bragging to didn't stop him when he started talking about it so all his 
statements were suppressed and b) since the dog never alerted,  the kid 
was never harmed.  Essentially, no harm, no foul.  Conroy meant well and 
his actions were in pursuit of a higher good.   Conroy was given a free 
pass after being caught with actual mj in his school office, not just a 
stem that may or may not be cannabis, AND after making no bones of the 
fact that his intent was to harm a student whereas no one can say any 
student was harmed (or even aware) by the contents of my parked, locked 
truck.  Certainly no intent to cause harm to a student.   I probably 
sound like one of my own students here but that just does not seem 
fair.  Actual copies of the police reports about the Conroy incident can 
be found at:

My case # is: 0500883 and my full name is: Gregory Dale Francisco.   
Please include those references in any correspondence.  Letters may  be 
sent to:

Cory Johnson
Assistant Prosecutor, Van Buren County
1007 Wells St
PO Box 311
South Haven, MI  49090

Judge Arthur Clarke III
7th District Court
1007 Wells St
PO Box 311
South Haven, MI  49090

Please send a copy to:
Attorney Roman Plaszczak
Suite #1
181 West Michigan Ave
Paw Paw, MI  49079

I truly appreciate any help fellow travelers can give me in this matter. 
Greg Francisco

32323 M-43
Paw Paw, MI  49079  USA
(269) 628-4340


End of MAPTalk-Digest V05 #148

Mark Greer ()         ___ ___     _ _  _ _
Media Awareness Project              /' _ ` _ `\ /'_`)('_`\
P. O. Box 651                        | ( ) ( ) |( (_| || (_) )
Porterville, CA 93258                (_) (_) (_) \__,_)| ,__/
(800) 266-5759                                         | |
URL:                      (_)

HomeBulletin BoardChat RoomsDrug LinksDrug NewsFeedback
Guest BookMailing ListsMedia EmailMedia LinksLettersSearch