Back to Map

MAPTalk-Digest Saturday, December 26 2009 Volume 09 : Number 124

001 James Gurley, Guitarist in Big Brother, Dies at 69
    From: "Herb" <>
002 Did WSJ get hit with Hack/Denial of Service attack and is Google fooled
    From: mmfamily <>
003 Re: Did WSJ get hit with Hack/Denial of Service attack and is Google fo
    From: mmfamily <>
004 Time to attack wasteful spending in New Jersey's prisons 
    From: "Herb" <>


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subj: 001 James Gurley, Guitarist in Big Brother, Dies at 69
From: "Herb" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 23:05:42 -0800

James Gurley, Guitarist in Big Brother, Dies at 69

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/25/arts/music/25gurley.html

Janis Joplin at Monterey Pop -Ball & Chain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui4c0PKvVMU

------------------------------

Subj: 002 Did WSJ get hit with Hack/Denial of Service attack and is Google fooled?
From: mmfamily <>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 09:48:18 -0800

It's X-mas eve and I'm surfing Google news.  I've set my Google News to sho
w me the top 5 "drug policy" articles. 

Article #5 appears to be from the WSJ with the title "Legalization is best 
way to defeat drug cartels" by author "Davis Luhnow".

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704254604574614230731506
tml#articleTabs%3Darticle

Looks pretty legit though many of the graphics aren't working. The publicat
ion date is strange too -- Saturday, December 26. The text, however, is REM
ARKABLE in that it's coming from the Wall Street Journal. 

I search "Davis Luhnow" in Google to see who this guy is, and find that Dav
id -- not "Davis" -- and Luchnow not "Luhnow" is a staff writer for the Wal
l Street Journal.

Curious about the WSJ site having a "typo", I go back to there to confirm D
avid Luchnow's credential, and the WSJ server is down and stays down for ab
out 30 minutes.  That's about 9:50 PST which is almost 1:00 a.m. X-mas Eve 
in NY.  Not too many server administrators paying a lot of attention.

Search again on "Davis Luhnow" in Google and come up with this:

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?p=3D2093276

The "article" appears at the top -- complete with an egregious typo in the 
title I'd missed before -- and a link back to the WSJ.  I click on that and
 get the "server is down" message.  A link to the article briefly appears a
t the USA Today site but clicking on it also leads back to the WSJ's downed
 server.

At 11:30 p.m. here in CA I go back to Google News.  The article is now #2 o
n the list of most read drug policy articles.  Clicking on the article take
s you to the URL I posted at the beginning.  Google's exact words are:

Saving Mexico
Wall Street Journal - Davis Luhnow - =E2=80=8E11 hours ago=E2=80=8E
For instance, US anti-drug policy inadvertently helped Mexican gangs gain p
ower. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, the US government cracked down on 
the ...
Mexico: 4 held in revenge attack on hero's family The Associated Press
Mexico Police Make Arrests in Marine Family's Killing Bloomberg
cbs4denver.com - Wikipedia: Marcos Arturo Beltr=C3=A1n-Leyva
all 941 news articles =C2=BB
Email this story

This appears to be an elaborate hack by some very clever guys and a great o
pportunity for a clever poet to rewrite "T'was the Night Before X-mas".  Wi
th viral communication, should become an instant classic....

Merry Christmas!

Jane Marcus
Board Member, Interfaith Drug Policy Initiative (IDPI)

Post Script, Christmas Day, 9:30 a.m. PST:  The "phony" WSJ "Saving Mexico"
 piece is still showing up in Google News under "drug policy" with an origi
nal posting of 21 hours ago.

------------------------------

Subj: 003 Re: Did WSJ get hit with Hack/Denial of Service attack and is Google fooled?
From: mmfamily <>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 16:37:18 -0800

Curiouser and curiouser - 4:30 p.m. PST, Christmas Day -- the article's bac
k on Google News under drug policy here

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704254604574614230731506
tml?mod=3DWSJ_hpp_RIGHTTopCarousel

saying it was posted an hour ago and this time looks REALLY AUTHENTIC with 
the correct spelling of David Luhnow (I was wrong below about the spelling 
of the last name in last night's version).

Can it be true???

Jane

- -----Forwarded Message-----
>From: mmfamily <>
>Sent: Dec 25, 2009 12:48 PM
>To: "" <>
>Subject: Did WSJ get hit with Hack/Denial of Service attack and is Google 
fooled?
>
>It's X-mas eve and I'm surfing Google news.  I've set my Google News to sh
ow me the top 5 "drug policy" articles. 
>
>Article #5 appears to be from the WSJ with the title "Legalization is best
 way to defeat drug cartels" by author "Davis Luhnow".
>
>http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704254604574614230731506.
html#articleTabs%3Darticle
>
>Looks pretty legit though many of the graphics aren't working. The publica
tion date is strange too -- Saturday, December 26. The text, however, is RE
MARKABLE in that it's coming from the Wall Street Journal. 
>
>I search "Davis Luhnow" in Google to see who this guy is, and find that Da
vid -- not "Davis" -- and Luchnow not "Luhnow" is a staff writer for the Wa
ll Street Journal.
>
>Curious about the WSJ site having a "typo", I go back to there to confirm 
David Luchnow's credential, and the WSJ server is down and stays down for a
bout 30 minutes.  That's about 9:50 PST which is almost 1:00 a.m. X-mas Eve
 in NY.  Not too many server administrators paying a lot of attention.
>
>Search again on "Davis Luhnow" in Google and come up with this:
>
>http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?p=3D2093276
>
>The "article" appears at the top -- complete with an egregious typo in the
 title I'd missed before -- and a link back to the WSJ.  I click on that an
d get the "server is down" message.  A link to the article briefly appears 
at the USA Today site but clicking on it also leads back to the WSJ's downe
d server.
>
>At 11:30 p.m. here in CA I go back to Google News.  The article is now #2 
on the list of most read drug policy articles.  Clicking on the article tak
es you to the URL I posted at the beginning.  Google's exact words are:
>
>Saving Mexico
>Wall Street Journal - Davis Luhnow - =E2=80=8E11 hours ago=E2=80=8E
>For instance, US anti-drug policy inadvertently helped Mexican gangs gain 
power. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, the US government cracked down on
 the ...
>Mexico: 4 held in revenge attack on hero's family The Associated Press
>Mexico Police Make Arrests in Marine Family's Killing Bloomberg
>cbs4denver.com - Wikipedia: Marcos Arturo Beltr=C3=A1n-Leyva
>all 941 news articles =C2=BB
>Email this story
>
>
>This appears to be an elaborate hack by some very clever guys and a great 
opportunity for a clever poet to rewrite "T'was the Night Before X-mas".  W
ith viral communication, should become an instant classic....
>
>Merry Christmas!
>
>Jane Marcus
>Board Member, Interfaith Drug Policy Initiative (IDPI)
>
>Post Script, Christmas Day, 9:30 a.m. PST:  The "phony" WSJ "Saving Mexico
" piece is still showing up in Google News under "drug policy" with an orig
inal posting of 21 hours ago.

------------------------------

Subj: 004 Time to attack wasteful spending in New Jersey's prisons 
From: "Herb" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 17:42:29 -0800

Time to attack wasteful spending in New Jersey's prisons

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/commentary/time-to-attack-wasteful-sp 

------------------------------

End of MAPTalk-Digest V09 #124
******************************


HomeBulletin BoardChat RoomsDrug LinksDrug NewsFeedback
Guest BookMailing ListsMedia EmailMedia LinksLettersSearch